Through my eyes

living my life without regrets

Saturday, August 18, 2018

47. At Sea, Towards St. Martin, Peru


At Sea, Towards St. Martin, Peru                                   70F (21C)
The destination talks were about Callao, Peru

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callao  but what is there to say? Sometimes Humberto does not have an easy time making a very commercial place attractive.

Cake Was Bigger Than It Looks
I left before Humberto finished, I have been to Lima before and Callao is not a place I or anybody else really needs to visit. It’s a sea port.

This afternoon, our new Captain had a celebration party for Jack who turned 100 years old on this trip. I asked him if he wanted a chair which I had for him but he declined. He stood for about an hour and a half through all the speeches, champagne toasts and cake carving. He and his wife both seemed to appreciate the party.  
The Captain Is Toasting Jack's Longevity

Jack and His Wife. An Amazing Couple













Costumes All Grey and Black
Again, today was another formal night; which also means the ship’s singers and dancers had their performance. The theme for this routine was ‘What the World Needs Now’ and I could not agree appreciate the dance routines. The dancing was noticeably bad to a lay person like me. Half of the retinue were new people and not good at all. It could be that they were new and nervous but there was nothing wonderful about their costumes, a bland grey, nor their dance performance. Blah!

I know I sound negative, but I blame the ship, not the artists. Many changes had occurred during our trip, we have a different captain, a different Entertainment director, now new performers and none of the replacements are better than the old. Is the Princess line feeling the heat of the competition? Some old hat cruisers see differences in the food, the lectures (absent for weeks now) and even the entertainment. I listen to them and now watch more intently what they are pointing out. Jean and Ross tell me that Holland American is by far a better Cruise line. Hmm!









No comments: