Through my eyes

living my life without regrets

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

European Adventures - 27. Landhaus Eden, Soltau


27. Landhaus Eden, Soltau

We had a few days to get back to Germany, and originally I thought of visiting Hamburg but after we got close to this HUGE city, I had 2nd thoughts.

Hamburg is not a town for just a day; it takes a lot more time to visit Hamburg.
Driving out of Denmark was uneventful, there is no Passport Control, we just drove and all of a sudden the signage changed and we were in Deutschland.

After about 5 hours of driving, with lots of stop and go traffic around Hamburg I had had it. The car we had was a stick shift, so you are constantly on the clutch and you need to shift up, then down again when you encounter traffic congestion. Around Hamburg there was a lot of that.  We found a hotel along the highway and were lucky. It was the perfect place. The hotel, Landhaus Eden, had a Restaurant with it and the room was quiet and large and had A/C. 

Yes, Carol found some spots of mold in the bathroom and, of course, told the reception about it. They said they would fix it once we leave. 

Ha, do you think they will do it?

But they were friendly about the process, no, we did not get another room, there wasn’t another one available, the receptionist said. All was done with a smile and ‘no’ action on the hotel part. 

The breakfast, included, was awesome, though. We had a HUGE spread, with a pat of butter machine. I kid you not, you pulled a lever and a pat of butter popped out. I had never seen one of those before. 
Fountain Was Near a Large Pond

We had dinner at the hotel, too, good food. Lots of people ate there; a neighborhood group was a bit rowdy and boisterous, but just harmless fun with a couple of beers. 

One couple had a ‘cute’ small kid, who had a mind of his own. Every time the parents were about to eat, the child, not being seated in a highchair, left the table and ran away to a small pond nearby. Of course, one parent had to run after the child, the cozy dinner they thought they would have, being now totally taken over by this boy. Ah, am I glad to not have small ‘kids’ any longer. I remember those days when the children were like a bag of fleas, hopping and running around every which way. Phew…. I am glad that is over.

I am turning into a stodgy guy… I like my peace and quiet, like to take my time with things.

I have no problems watching, though. As long as this kid did not come to our table and bother me, I am ok with the parents running after him.

Just let me have my peace…..I will turn into a lion if you interfere with my time.
We just drove that day, found a hotel and that was it….

We are going towards Frankfurt now, time to go back to Toronto.




No comments: