Through my eyes

living my life without regrets

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Nesebar, BG - Несебър -

Nesebar, BG  -  Несебър  -  


My Face When I Think Of Nesebar 
It was a bit of a distance from the Rila Monastery all the way to the Black Sea port of Nesebar. We did not ride all of it in one day. We took our time and found a hotel close to Nesebar for just one night and then, the next morning, fresh and not tired we made it into the ancient town of Nesebar. I don’t like riding in the dark, especially in a country I don’t know too well. I will pay gladly for another hotel stop before actually pushing myself to get to the goal town. No matter how close we are, it is safer to wait out the night and then start anew to find the destination the next day.


No Traffic Allowed Into 'Old ' Nesebar 
Our destination in Nesebar was the St. Stefan Hotel. We had a difficult time finding it because the Hotel was in the middle of the Old City and the whole of the Old City was barricaded with only certain residential traffic being allowed in. Guards made sure nobody entered without the right credentials. There were no street signs within old Nesebar. The roads were ancient, rough and narrow. Nesebar has been made into a tourist attraction; a pedestrian area full of ‘old’ stuff. But with a little NYC brashness Carol and I did take our bikes past the ‘guards’ and around the barricades. After some searching on foot, then getting back on our bikes, we found our hotel. We parked on the sidewalk but the hotel clerk said that was OK. So we rolled our guilt feelings of riding into the town on bikes over to the hotel clerk who said we were OK.
Picture Perfect But....
Mostly Ruins 
Actual Living Quarters In Nesebar
Nesebar is a walking town. It is said the town is so old that it defies logic. Settled on an isthmus, it was very early fortified and this small town served the Thracians, Greeks, Persians, Romans and God knows how many other people. After the Ottoman Empire took it over, it declined and was almost forgotten because who would want to live in those ancient ruins? Some typical, for its time, Bulgarian fisherman houses were built and today this old town of Nesebar is a mix of all kinds of architectural oddities. During years past the whole town, was fortified and even today some of the ancient walls have survived. Oh, it is a tourist haven, full of restaurants, shops that sell items nobody really needs and in the summer it must be mayhem. 
Touristy!
I am so glad we came in early October because while still busy, it was bearable to be with so many gawkers and sight seers. I get a bit peeved when locals try to hassle me to buy stuff, when they step in front of me trying to sell their stuff; when restaurants hire ‘yellers’ or ‘sellers’ to entice me to eat in their place instead of at their competition. It was one of those towns. Carol is nicer; she listens then simply says ‘No, thank you!” I have to copy her more, I get mad and just tell them off. Tell them off in not so nice ways.

Not My Kind Of Stuff 
Beaches?
Ah, we say Nesebar, now I know what the town is like but I can tell you it’s not my kind of town. The beaches are dirty, the place is over-run, the water actually stank from I don’t know what.
We saw it, took some pictures and the next day were gone. Turkey was calling us. I don’t understand why people visit the Black Sea, whether it is in Romania or Bulgaria, I did not find the beaches so beautiful.

Rain Boots With the Toe Cut Out?



No comments: