Through my eyes

living my life without regrets

Saturday, October 06, 2018

6. 2nd Cousin Franno


2nd Cousin Frano

We had a leisurely drive going east, towards Ahlen, the town my Mom is from. 

Again I had made arrangements to meet another cousin from my Mom’s side this Sunday, May 27 at 1PM.  We took our time driving from Essen to Ahlen; it’s just a 1 hour drive. 

When I was young, every school vacation I had, I spent in Ahlen. It was like a 2nd home to me. I used to live with my Mom’s sister Lene (Helene) and her family. I never realized at that age that I might ‘overstay’ my welcome. But it was not up to me then, it was my Mom’s doing, I had to go. I just had to obey and live with Tante Lene. Another long story that is now no longer relevant. We have a saying in Germany: “Let the grass grow over it”.

Naturally we arrived early enough in Ahlen to still drive past the housing where my Mom grew up. The actual house is still there. The house is now occupied by Turkish Immigrants. When my Mom was small she was the Polish Immigrant. It was nice to see that not much changed in this neighborhood. My Mom’s School still functions as a school; the streets still have the same name. Only the people are ‘new’, different. 

I drove past the Restaurant/Bar where my parents met, still there, still the same name “Dicker Stein” (large boulder).  Not much seemed to have changed in Ahlen but then when I met my cousin Frano and his wife Marianne, I heard story after story of what did change. Frano is just one year younger than I am. So we are the same age, more or less. But Frano is the child of my cousin Sofia, just for the record, because it, again, does not really matter.

Ahlen was always different than Krefeld. Here the people were smart, friendlier and much more family oriented. But, I grew up in Krefeld, my father’s town.

Like I said previously, in Krefeld they wanted the youth to be tough as Krupp Steel. Not so in Ahlen, here brawn was replaced by brain.

Cousin Sofia
Ah, we had a wonderful visit. Marianne outdid herself, again. There seems to be truly nothing this woman cannot do. Her kitchen acumen is legendary but she also is the dynamo that charges everybody else around her. Frano has learned to live with that, he comes across as laid back and just smiles, but I know better. Frano is a very bright man. He must have inherited that from his Mom, Sofia, my cousin.
Franno - Sophia's Son

Sofia’s eyesight is now almost totally gone, she can hardly see any shadows any longer, yet at 92 years old she is still walking every day, still visits the graves at the cemetery, still does her routine albeit now pushing her walker. Sofia looks great. I really want to be as active at her age, be mentally with it as she is now.

Thank you for the BBQ you made, Frano.

The cake you prepared, Marianne.
Marianne, Franno's Wife

We were there until about 6 PM, so all afternoon. Time flew by. Marianne was good, she spoke to Carol in English, and it was good for Carol to be able to talk, too. 

When I was younger I always envied the way the people in Ahlen lived so harmoniously with each other. Everybody had their own house, everybody had good jobs, and everybody was friendly and forthcoming. 
Hasn't He Had Enough Already?

I still envy you, Ahlen, for your lifestyle, for your way at looking at life.

Sofichen, stay as you are…….Du bist in Ordnung!

Sofia is my Mom’s Sister’s oldest child. Sofia and I are cousins. Frano is Sofia’s son.

We found a Hotel in the Center of Beckum, the hotel Samson.

It was easy to park, easy to shop, had a good breakfast, and was quiet for sleeping in a good bed.

But then it was Sunday… during the week it might be impossible to get to the hotel since it is in the middle of town, in the ‘walking only’ section, the shopping street in Beckum.

No matter, a good place for us, we slept well.




No comments: